Tokyo Airport Transfer Guide
Tokyo is served by Narita International Airport (NRT) located 65 km east of central Tokyo and Tokyo Haneda Airport (HND) which is located close to the centre of Tokyo.
The following are easy-to-follow step-by-step guides on how to make your way to Shinagawa following your arrival in Tokyo.
Step-by-step access guide to Shinagawa from Narita Airport by Narita Express (N’EX)
Narita International Airport (NRT) is located approximately 65 km east of central Tokyo. A number of excellent transportation links provide good access into the city. The easiest, fastest and most comfortable way to travel to Shinagawa is by the Narita Express (N’EX) as it provides direct rail access between Narita Airport and Shinagawa. Follow the steps below to travel to Shinagawa from Narita Airport by catching a Narita Express train.
1. Head to the JR Line / N’EX Train Station Area
After you exit through the arrival lobby of Terminal 1 or 2, follow the “N’EX” signs indicating the Narita Express train station area located on the basement (B1F) level.
2. Find the N’EX Ticketing Machines
Once you are in the train station area of your terminal on the basement (B1F) level, you can easily find the Narita Express ticketing area. If you have any difficulties in finding the N’EX ticketing machines, check with the friendly staff at an airport information desk for direction.
3. Purchase a Reserved N’EX Ticket to Shinagawa
- Once you are in front of a ticketing machine, select the instruction language to be in English (or your preferred language) displayed at the top of the screen.
- After you confirm the display language is in English, select the red button stating “For seat reservation on Narita Express (N’EX)” displayed on the top left corner of the main screen.
- Follow the prompts to choose the destination (Shinagawa), number of passengers, desired train time etc.
- After you go through all the prompts required, you will see a screen showing all your train ticket details. Check the details on display and press “Confirm” to finalize your order. Please note that all seats on the Narita Express (N’EX) trains are reserved seats.
- The total fare for your ticket will be displayed on the screen. You can process the payment either in cash or by credit card. Please ensure to request a receipt for reimbursement by pressing the Receipt button so that a receipt will also be issued with your train ticket.
4. Catch your N’EX Train
Check your platform and car reserved by following the overhead signs and directions in the train station area. Once you are at the train terminal and the platform entrance, insert your train ticket into the ticket slot of the station entrance gate. Locate your train and the car you reserved and wait for your train to arrive. After you board the right train, you can store your luggage in the luggage storage area at the front of each train car. The N’EX trains have free WiFi available. Sit back and enjoy your one hour train ride to Shinagawa!
5. Getting to Shinagawa Prince Hotel
Once you arrive at Shinagawa Station, exit through the Central Gate by inserting your train ticket to a station exit gate for collection (please keep your receipt separately). Turn left and go down either the stairs or escalator to exit through the Takanawa Exit (West Exit).
The Shinagawa Prince Hotel complex is right in front of Shinagawa Station. Walk across the zebra crossing and through the shopping precinct (currently under construction). The Annex Tower reception is located on the 7th floor of the Annex Tower building.
Important Note for Late Arrival
The earliest Narita Express train leaves Narita Airport Terminal 1 station at 7:37 am and the last one at 21:44 (subject to change). All Narita Express trains leaving Narita Airport stop at Shinagawa and run every 30 to 40 minutes. However, there is only one train per hour after around 19:40. Please refer to the latest railway timetable information on the Narita Airport Access Navigation site directly. If you will be arriving at Narita Airport late, it is recommended that you stay in a hotel near the airport for the night of your arrival and travel to Shinagawa the following morning.
Step-by-step access guide to Shinagawa from Haneda Airport
Haneda Airport (HND), officially “Tokyo International Airport”, is located close to the center of Tokyo. The easiest way to travel to Shinagawa from Haneda Airport (Terminal 3) is to take Keikyu line train as it connects the airport to Shinagawa station as little as in 11 minutes. Follow the steps below to travel to Shinagawa by catching a Keikyu line train.
1. Head down to Keikyu Line Station Area
After you exit immigration through to the Haneda Airport Terminal 3 arrival lobby, walk straight through the lobby and you will find the “Keikyu Line” signboard above your head. Proceed to the right as indicated by the signboard to get to the Keikyu line station area.
2. Find the Keikyu Ticketing Machines
You will find the Keikyu line ticketing machines.
3. Purchase a Ticket to Shinagawa
- Once you are in front of a ticketing machine, press the language selection button displayed at the top right corner of the screen. Select the button for English (or your preferred language).
- After you confirm the display language is in English, press the “Ticket” button.
- Press the ¥330 fare button to buy a ticket for Shinagawa.
- Process the payment in cash by inserting the money into the ticketing machine.
- Please ensure to request a receipt for reimbursement by pressing the Receipt button so that a receipt will also be issued with your train ticket.
4. Catch Your Train
Insert your train ticket into the ticket slot at the station entrance gate. Use either the elevator to the right or the escalator straight ahead and to the left to move to platform 2. Check the train for Shinagawa on the overhead signs. Any train with “for Shinagawa” will stop at Shinagawa station. Please do not take the trains labeled “for Yokohama”.
5. Getting to Shinagawa Prince Hotel
After you arrive at Shinagawa Station, exit through the Keikyu Takanawa Gate (do not go through the transfer gates to the other JR lines) by inserting your train ticket into the station exit gate for collection (please keep your receipt separately). Turn left and you will find the Shinagawa Prince Hotel complex right in front of Shinagawa Station. Walk across the zebra crossing and through the shopping precinct currently under construction. The Annex Tower reception is located on the 7th floor of the Annex Tower building.
Important Note for Late Arrival
Keikyu line train services run regularly throughout the day, approximately every 10 minutes. The earliest train bound for Shinagawa leaves Haneda at around 5:30 and the last one before 24:00/midnight. It takes as little as 11-minutes on the Airport Limited Express. The travel time depends on the service and it can take around 20 minutes if not on Limited Express. If you will be arriving at Haneda Airport late, it is recommended that you stay in a hotel near the airport for the night of your arrival and travel to Shinagawa the following morning.